Sunday, September 20, 2009

Time to Tailgate: Mini Bacon and Potato Frittatas

I’ve never really caught on to the whole tailgating bandwagon. First, I like to sleep in. Waking up early on a Saturday morning for a sporting event is a concept that makes no sense to me. Second, beer doesn’t taste good to me anytime of day, let alone before noon. Third, tailgating makes a day with a long football game incredibly longer and with the weekends seeming to go by quicker each year, my time on a Saturday to run errands and do chores is precious. So while my husband makes a day of it each football Saturday, I’ll join in just once in a while.

One of those days happened to be last Saturday. We went out to cheer on our favorite football team to our third victory this season!!! It was a beautiful September day, and we had plans to visit one of my husband’s friend and colleague’s tailgates. “J”’s tailgates are actually a great stop before the game. His tailgate spot is about a block from the stadium, and J makes delicious egg and English muffin sandwiches on his grill. They are delicious.

As it was an earlier game that day, I decided to bring breakfast fare. I also wanted it to be finger food to cut out the need for utensils. I came across a recipe from Cooking Light. I hadn’t tried it before, but learned that my sister had previously made it. These mini frittatas are baked in a mini-muffin pan, so they are perfectly bite-sized. I used the Zingerman’s Arkansas Peppered Bacon that my husband loves, so my attempt at this recipe turned out really peppery. The sour cream really cooled it down, though. I baked the bacon (my preferred method of cooking bacon) at 400°F for about 10 minutes, until crispy. I sautéed the potato in a little olive oil (instead of bacon drippings). If I were making these for myself, I would omit the bacon and substitute some finely diced bell peppers. (I think a number of other veggies would work well too, such as mushrooms, chopped spinach, zucchini, etc.) I think these are a good breakfast or brunch item to take somewhere if you’re serving a crowd.

Mini Bacon and Potato Frittatas

Ingredients
* 2 cups finely chopped peeled baking potato (about 12 ounces)
* 5 bacon slices (uncooked)
* 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
* 1 teaspoon salt, divided
* 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives, divided
* 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 7 large egg whites, lightly beaten
* 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
* Cooking spray
* 6 tablespoons fat-free sour cream

Preparation
Preheat oven to 375°.

Place potato in a medium saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil; cook 4 minutes or until almost tender. Drain.

Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings in pan. Crumble bacon; set aside. Add potato, onion, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and thyme to drippings in pan; cook 8 minutes or until potato is lightly brown over medium-high heat. Remove from heat; cool.

Combine the potato mixture, bacon, remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons chives, cheese, pepper, egg whites, and eggs, stirring well with a whisk. Coat 36 mini muffin cups with cooking spray. Spoon about 1 tablespoon egg mixture into each muffin cup. Bake at 375° for 16 minutes or until lightly brown. Cool 5 minutes on a wire rack. Remove frittatas from muffin cups. Top each with 1/2 teaspoon sour cream and 1/2 teaspoon chives.

1 comment:

  1. This is J of J's Tailgate. This long tradition of tailgating and food is a tradition that continues and grows from year to year. Everyone trying to outdo the previous year, in reality it is a great time to sit and catch up with friends that you sometimes only see during that time of year.

    If you are into cooking for these types of events, as I am, it is always great to see and taste the fare of others whether visiting your tailgate or you visiting others.

    Kate has found an absolutely fabulous recipe for any tailgate. So good I was really looking forward to trying some more after the game and much to my sadness they were gone, ARRGGHH.

    "Kate next time double the recipe" It is the perfect compliment to any Chef to have none left and people wanting more.

    I highly recommend this recipe for any party not just tailgating.

    Thank You Kate!!!

    ReplyDelete