Friday, November 20, 2009

Figs Part II: Grilled Figs with Greek Yogurt

Yogurt is a food that has it’s health benefits, but a food that I never felt a strong connection to. I would purchase the non-fat, low-calorie yogurts from the grocery store. The consistency always seemed so runny. The flavors available are endless these days, but taste like an imitation.

Last summer I finally found the other side of yogurt: Greek yogurt. And I found my yogurt match. Greek yogurt is thick, creamy, and sour. It is fatty too, but you can also buy low-fat and non-fat Greek yogurts. It is strained in a cloth bag or filter to remove whey, giving it a thick consistency and preserving its sour taste. My friend Beth recently honeymooned in Greece and she was able to validate that the kind we buy at the grocery store here is the same kind that they sell in Greece!

My favorite way to eat Greek yogurt is plain with a little drizzle of honey. At my grocery store they sell Fage yogurt with a little honey compartment. Perfect for a packed lunch! My husband is partial to their yogurt with the strawberry compartment. I’ve also eaten it with fresh fruit, nuts, and even chocolate chips. I’ll substitute Greek yogurt for sour cream in recipes when I can.

When I recently brought back fresh figs from California, I was excited to pair them with some Greek yogurt and honey. We’ve had a mild fall here, and were able to heat up our outdoor grill for potentially the last time this season. This was a fun treat, and another way to savor our fig souvenir.

Grilled Figs with Greek Yogurt
Ingredients
8-12 fresh figs, sliced in half
2 tbsp honey, plus more for drizzling
1 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
¼ cup pistachios, shelled

Directions
Heat grill on high heat. Brush cut side of figs with honey. Place figs on grill, cut side down. Grill for approximately 3 minutes, until figs have grill marks. Remove from heat.

On 4 dessert plates, place on each plate: ¼ Greek yogurt, several figs, a couple tablespoons of pistachios, and drizzle with honey. Serve immediately.





No comments:

Post a Comment