Monday, November 30, 2009

Vegetarian Version: French Onion Casserole

I don’t know where this recipe originated from, but I know it’s been showing up at family holiday dinners for years. We all have our “usuals” that we’re assigned to for family gatherings, and last year I added the French Onion Casserole to my contributions. The recipe calls for beef stock, but I knew that if I made it myself I could substitute with vegetable stock, and then be able to eat it myself. (Sneaky, I know.)

The casserole resembles French Onion Soup, complete with toasted bread and melted cheese. The recipe as follows should be doubled if you’re bringing it to an event and serving for a crowd. For our Thanksgiving dinner last week I went a little overboard on the cheese (I was trying to use up the Swiss I had purchased), and a little extra melted cheese is not a bad thing! You can use store-bought croutons, although I always find myself purchasing fresh French bread, cubing it, and toasting it in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes to make my own homemade croutons.

French Onion Casserole
Ingredients
4 medium onions
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all purpose floor
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
¾ cup vegetable stock
¼ cup dry sherry
1 ½ cups plain croutons
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 ounces processed Swiss cheese, shredded (about ½ cup)
3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated

Directions
Cook onions in the 3 tablespoons butter until just tender. Blend in flour and pepper. Add stock and sherry; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.

Put onion mixture into a 1-quart casserole dish. Toss croutons with the 2 tablespoons melted butter; spoon atop onion mixture. Sprinkle with Swiss and Parmesan cheese. Place under broiler until cheese milts, about 1 minute. Serve immediately. Makes 4-6 servings (double for the holidays).





4 comments:

  1. I am not normally an onion person, but that looks like something I would really enjoy!

    Oh, btw, I sent one of my favoritest authors of all time to your blog. :) Go to http://runningwithquills.com and scroll down to "Jayne Finds the Perfect Salmon Recipe." (Unfortunately I can't link to the exact post.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks YUMMY! Here's a question, though...is there a substitute I can use for Swiss Cheese? I don't love Swiss but I do know I've had French Onion soup I've enjoyed before...what might they have put on?? Suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gruyere would be an excellent substitute! What are your feelings on Gruyere?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sunny - Thanks for mentioning me to your fav author! It's great to see another pescatarian! I'll have to check out her salmon.

    ReplyDelete