Thursday, October 22, 2009

Easy Any Night: Apple Cider Salmon with Israeli Couscous

Salmon is one of my favorite foods and this is one of my stand-by recipes. My husband and I really enjoy this, and it is a recipe that I go to when I have nothing planned or nothing on hand to make. I always keep frozen salmon fillets in my freezer, couscous in my pantry, and if I have a jar of American Spoon Apple Cider Grilling sauce (along with only 15 minutes of prep and cooking time), we have a great dinner! It always makes enough for leftovers, too. I’ve made this recipe with chicken breasts in lieu of salmon, when I served it for company who was not preferential to seafood.

I mentioned previously that I was a fan of the American Spoon products, and their Apple Cider Grilling Sauce happens to be my favorite and most-used product. You may be able to find their products in your local specialty store. (In New York City I was able to purchase them at Williams-Sonoma.) I like to serve this salmon over couscous. This time I used Israeli Couscous (which is not actually made from semolina like North African Couscous, but made from wheat and is more similar to Italian orzo). I have used Israeli Couscous and North African Couscous interchangeably in this dish.

Kate’s Apple Cider Salmon with Israeli Couscous

Ingredients
* American Spoon Apple Cider Grilling Sauce (you will use about ½ jar)
* 4 skinless salmon fillets
* Kosher salt, to taste
* Freshly ground pepper, to taste
* 2 cups Israeli Couscous
* 2 teaspoons olive oil
* 2 ½ cups vegetable broth

Directions
Preheat the oven to 450° F.

Heat olive oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add couscous and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until toasted. Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Once broth is boiling, remove from heat and cover. Let couscous stand for approximately 12 minutes, until broth is absorbed and you can fluff couscous with a fork.

Meanwhile, place salmon fillets on a foil-lined broiling pan. Season with salt, pepper, and brush with Apple Cider Grilling Sauce (about 1 tablespoon per fillet). Bake in 450° F oven for approximately 6 minutes. Turn broiler on high, and move pan to top rack in oven. Broil for 2-4 minutes, until sauce on salmon has caramelized on top.

Serve salmon fillets over couscous and drizzle ¼ cup Apple Cider Grilling sauce on top.



No comments:

Post a Comment