Sunday, October 25, 2009

Special Side Dish: Broccoli Florets with Meyer Lemon Olive Oil

When we returned from our vacation to California last spring I brought myself (and my family members) some souvenirs. Unfortunately, one can only fit so many bottles of wine and olive oil in a suitcase. (Not to mention the extra charge airlines are demanding per checked bag, and the further charge if you bag exceeds 50 pounds in weight – I will admit that over the past several years I’ve had several bags weigh in at 49.5 pounds!)

Among other goodies, I was able to fit a bottle of Meyer Lemon Olive Oil in my bag, purchased at the Oakville Grocery in Oakville, California. I’ve been savoring it in small amounts ever since, and one of my favorite applications is with steamed broccoli.



I slightly adapted this recipe from Giada de Laurentiis. (I found that I didn’t need as much olive oil as her recipe calls for, and I also like the addition of crushed red pepper flakes for a little kick.) If you don’t have lemon olive oil, I would recommend using extra-virgin olive oil along with 1 teaspoon of lemon zest (or fresh lemon juice).

Broccoli Florets with Meyer Lemon Olive Oil
(Modified from Giada's Family Dinners)
Ingredients
* 1 pound broccoli florets
* 1 tablespoon Meyer lemon olive oil
* 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Fill a large pot halfway with water. Cover and bring the water to a boil over high heat. Salt the water and add the broccoli. Boil until the broccoli is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.

Drain, transfer the broccoli florets to a large bowl, and toss with the oil to coat. Season the broccoli florets with crushed red pepper, salt and pepper, to taste, and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment