Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Crispy Ham: Kate's Prosciutto Chips

I’ve recently starting adding a salami selection to my hors d'oeuvre offerings, as it is a favorite of my brother-in-law. For my niece’s birthday party, I wanted to do something beyond unwrapping salami and placing it on a platter. I decided to make Prosciutto Chips, which are something I recently discovered while trying to use up leftover prosciutto.

Last summer I had some extra prosciutto from another recipe. My husband had mumbled something infering he wasn’t interested in eating it uncooked (prosciutto crudo). I decided to bake it in the oven until it turned very crispy, and I then tossed it with a salad for him. He loved it, and the crispiness of this Italian dry-cured ham resembled bacon, with a bit more elegance. Prosciutto Chips are a great garnish for a salad, but also work on their own as a snack or on a meat tray. Serve them with assorted meats, cheeses, nuts, and fruit.

Kate’s Prosciutto Chips

Ingredients
4 oz. prosciutto, thinly sliced

Directions
Preheat oven to 250°F. Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper, or spray with non-stick cooking spray.

Cut prosciutto slices in half, and then into 1-inch strips. Lay prosciutto strips on baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes, until crispy.





No comments:

Post a Comment